Adolph Heinrich Fiegenbaum
1793 — 1877
Federal Land Patent,
St. Charles County, Missouri, 1840
The property is described in this land patent as:
...the North West quarter of the South East quarter of Section twenty two, in Township forty five of Range one East in the District of lands subject to sale at St. Louis, Missouri containing forty acres...
View a map of the land.
Source: Bureau of Land Management (BLM), General Land Office (GLO) Records Automation web site. Accessed April 2003. Land patent for Adolphus Fiegenbaum. Accession number MO0700_.287; document number 9077.
Adolph Heinrich Fiegenbaum, Christine Elisabeth (Peterjohann) Fiegenbaum and their first five children arrived in New Orlean, Louisiana from Germany in June 1834 and travelled up the Mississippi River to Missouri. One of the children reported much later in life that the family arrived in St. Louis, Missouri about July 3 or 4.
It seems likely that the family moved west from St. Louis, but whether they first lived in western St. Charles County or in neighboring Warren County is not clear. The German evangelical church at Femme Osage (St. Charles County) has recorded the baptism of Adolph and Christine's sixth and last child, born in January 1837 and baptized in February of that year. In April 1838, Adolph declared in the the St. Charles County Circuit Court his intention to become an American citizen.
The land patent shown here for 40 acres of land in St. Charles County, east of the village of Femme Osage, was issued in St. Louis, Missouri to "Adolphus Fiegenbaum, of St. Charles County, Missouri" on 1 October 1840.
By 1841, Adolph's elder brother, Johann Heinrich Fiegenbaum, and his extended family, numbering at least 13 people, had also immigrated to Missouri. It appears they settling in the area of Hopewell and Holstein, in neighboring Warren County.
In 1844, Adolph Heinrich Fiegenbaum received another federal land patent. This time for 81.47 acres northwest of Holstein, Warren County, Missouri. It would have been in the same neighborhood as his brother's family.
By the time of the 1850 U.S. federal census, Adolph, Christine, and their two youngest sons were living in Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa.
In 1871, Christine died and was buried at Colesburg, Delaware County, Iowa. In 1877, Adolph died at Garner, Hancock County, Iowa and was buried there in Concord Cemetery. Christine's body was re-interred next to her husband's grave in Concord Cemetery at Garner, Iowa.